Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Tree of Memories

This is the story of our Christmas tree.  This is probably an example of a blog written not for you, but for me and my children to look back on years later.  This is a 6 foot tree, purchased in 1996 by my parents for my 16th birthday.  I wanted my own Christmas tree in my room and that was my gift!  I took this tree to Simpson College my sophomore year- setting it up in our dorm room in Kresge on the 2nd floor.  This tree sat in my apartment in Clinton during my first year of teaching. The tree was up three years in Princeton NJ while we lived in CRW (the married student housing).  The tree was in our first condo in Wisconsin and the next next four years in our home in Wisconsin.  Now the tree is sitting in our rental house in Iowa.

 I am aware that it isn't even Thanksgiving yet, but I was excited to decorate the tree.  A. requested we use colored lights (for the first time in the past 15 years!)  We also thought it was time to switch from the burgandy garland to some blue.  The following is the story of some special ornaments...  in no particular order.

 Our first year in New Jersey, my parents gave us this Iowa ornament.  It meant a lot to me.  A few years later my sister, mom, and I attended a craft show and there I bought the NJ and WI ornaments.  They are always near the top and in the front of our tree- these show the places we've been- the journey we have taken.  When the day comes that we move again- if it is out of state I am hopeful I can somehow find this artist and add to my collection.
Here is the Simpson College ornament-where we began our journey.  WHenever I look at this ornament I think of the two old looking snowpeople-and think Andy and I will be old together someday too.

 My senior year in college my friends all made ornaments for eachother.  This one was made by my friend Jennifer.  I think of her every year when I put up the tree.  She is currently in CA.
 This ornament showcases the friendship between Sara and I- friends since 2nd grade.  She is in TX.
 This ornament was bought on a very big family reunion with all my cousins, aunts and uncles.
 A. treasures this ornament.  She picked it out from her Great Grandma's collection after she passed away.
 I loved being prego- and thankfully was able to experience pregnancy two Christmasas and two birthdays!
 As a third grader I saved up my money to purchase "Samantha"  Someday I will pass the American Girl doll to my daughter.
 This is another ornament selected from Grandma Doris.
 These string angels were made with my grandma ray in Creston.  During the summer or during long holiday weekends, I remember working on craft projects- these angels, wooden soldiers, wooden angels...
 I bought this while at college through 10,000 villages.
 This ornament was given by my parents- bought on a trip to Europe.
 This ornament plays a song and the kids LOVE playing it over and over again.  It is A.'s from G&G Monroe.
 An ornament from a college friend, Jocelyn.
 Bought for D.'s first Christmas.
 As a teenager, I LOVED helping to make sure the sanctuary was ready for the Christmas Eve service.  The candelabras would be filled with glowing candles, and after the service the wax would be drying and dripping down- looking like icicles.  So- I collected these wax icicles and took a hot needle to poke a hole through the wax to make an ornament.  My home church now uses drip-less candles,
 A gift from a hs friend Heather.  We loved to have campfires at her house!
 This was a favor given at the wedding of one of Andy's best friends, Gwen.  She had a December wedding and Andy was her man of honor.
 This penguin ornament is from my college friend Lynlyn.  It reminded her of how we would sing together in college.
 This bow was fancily wrapped on a gift from my friend Sara- I dont think she knew that I would use it for YEARS as my tree topper!
 One of many sister ornaments from my amazing sister, Amanda.
 In college I was in DDD.  My friend Aubrey made this for me.
 Every Christmas Eve growing up I would wait anxiously during the service- wondering what the ornament would look like that year.  A lady from our church, Marilyn, worked all year to make these ornaments- one per family.  I have at least 8 hanging on my tree from different years.
 This was made by my friend Becky (now Rebecca) during our senior year ornament exchange.
This is my first- and only- ornament given to me by a student.  Her name was Whitney and she was in my algebra class in Clinton.

No comments: